Saturday, June 2, 2012

Leadership Day - 1 week to go! - Undergraduates - Saltire ...

?

In preparation for our departure, the 2012 scholars benefitted from the first ever Saltire Foundation Leadership Day which took place today.? The day was focussed on getting us thinking about what makes a great leader, how to get the most from our scholarship and how to use what we learn on our scholarship to come back and effectively lead others to self improvement and success. ?

While listening to all the stories and advice given to us throughout the day, I couldn?t help but think about how lucky we were to be in this situation and having these brilliant people share their valuable experience with us.? I am a firm believer that the there is always something to be learned from hearing other people?s experiences; what they did, how they handled the challenges and how they got the most out of it.? I took a lot from today and am now even more excited not just for my internship, but also to get started on some projects when I get home.? One of the workshops was a discussion on how we as Saltire Alumni will be able to use our knowledge and experience to inspire and lead others - there were many great suggestions which I hope will be coming to life after this summer and I can?t wait to get on board.?

Another observation I made today was that I had never before been in such a concentrated group of such genuine, nice people.? I don?t know if it?s to do with the sort of people that apply or whether it?s just that the ladies involved in running the Saltire Foundation are so lovely that they?ve managed to select such a group of pleasant and wonderful scholars.? Everyone seems so warm and welcoming and i?ve never felt such caring and compassion from a group of nearly strangers before.? Before I even set off on my internship, i am already feeling the benefits of the Saltire community.? I feel I have a big new group of friends that will be there to help me out in the future.? So, already, thank you Saltire Foundation for introducing me to this group of wonderful people and accepting me into the Saltire family. ?

On that note, it?s only a week to go until I embark on the summer of a lifetime with the two other scholars, Duncan and Shereen.? The three of us will be interning at the Grand Hyatt in Dubai - an ideal opportunity for me as I am hoping to build my career in the hospitality industry.? As far as I am aware we are going to be moving around different departments of the hotel to see how each area operates and what makes an organisation like Hyatt so successful.? I am very excited about everything we will learn this summer and how I can apply it to my own work. ?

With only six short days left, it?s time to get all the last minute things organized.? I would have thought that I would be all packed and ready to go by now - but packing for this trip has proved a little more difficult than your general journey abroad.? For starters, it?s difficult to know what kind of clothes to pack.? We have been asked to bring smart casual clothes for our first four days of training before we are issued a uniform.? According to the world of google, smart casual means something different in Dubai than it does here - except I can?t seem to find a general opinion on what exactly it does mean.? Clothing for spare time is also problematic, although not a legal requirement as the other Emirate States, conservative dressing is required out of respect as it is a Muslim country.? This means being covered from shoulders to knees at all times when in public.? With that kind of heat, this means a very thorough wardrobe re-think! ? So I would say that is a valid excuse as to why my suitcase is still lying on my bedroom floor - nearly empty. ?

Well I have already rambled on longer than I intended to for a first blog so I will leave it there for now.? But I will be back very shortly to share the experience of my first few days in Dubai!

?


Posted 03-Jun-2012 0:18 by Juliane Grasekamp

chesapeake energy dick clark death yom hashoah yolo liquidmetal gsa scandal kelis

No comments:

Post a Comment